Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Why, Nintendo? Just why?

When Nintendo announced the remake of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, using modern graphics and improved modern gameplay and controls, and showcased screenshots and trailer videos, I was excited. I have never actually played the original, I have only seen speedruns of it, and I was actually excited by the prospect of this modern remake of the game.

Then the character models appeared in the trailers and... oh boy...


And those are not the only characters that look like that. Pretty much all of the characters do.

They just look so... uncanny. There's just something wrong about them.

A lot of people have commented on how Link looks like a glossy porcelain doll, which does not look natural. It's like he is made of wet plastic. In fact, he looks like one of those badly and cheaply made Chinese knock-off figurines that just look wrong and ugly.

And Zelda... Oh my f'ing god... Zelda.. What have you done to her? Just compare with the original:


In the original, even at very low-poly, she looks normal and cute. In the remake her face looks very strange. It has a very pointy angular design, she has a gigantic nose, gigantic ears, a gigantic jaw, and very weird eyes. In the original she looks like a relatively normal 10-or-so-years-old (which is what she actually is), while in the remake she looks like some really weird small 30-years-old with pointy angular facial features.

Every facial feature is just slightly off. Especially the eyes look... strange and off-putting. It just looks so... uncanny. It looks weird and unsettling.

And, as mentioned, it's not just her. Pretty much all the characters shown in the trailers look strange, uncanny and unsettling like this. 

Just... why? Why did you do this, Nintendo? I'm seriously reconsidering whether I will actually buy the game. I would love to play the game, but those character designs are just... weird. They just look bad. I'm not sure I could play the game without being constantly bothered with how unsettling all the characters look. It could well ruin the gaming experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment